Ten Things You Never Knew About Kissing

Ten things you never knew about kissing …

This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.

Of course there are a number of types of kisses – we show affection to our children by kissing them or when they’ve fallen over and hurt themselves we might have kissed the injury to make it ‘feel better.’  We might kiss someone as a form of greeting or to show respect and in religion, we see people kissing inanimate objects which is a symbolic act.

As a reader who enjoys the romance genre, a romantic kiss (if written well) can convey so much.  Sarah Morgan is one author (in my opinion) who is fabulous at showing her readers a ‘soul kiss’ with her words.  In movies too, romantic kisses hook us in.

Kissing is so popular nationally that a day has been set aside to celebrate.  Have you heard of National Kissing Day and did you know that it’s been running for 14 years?  No?

It encourages everyone to appreciate the importance of a kiss and to spread the love.  You can nominate your most kissable celebrity each year.  Visit the website for how to make your own lip scrub and home remedies as well as techniques.

Did you know …


  • There are approximately 10,000 nerve endings in your lips (sensitive!)
  • One kiss requires your body to coordinate 146 muscles and approximately 112 postural muscles (burning 2 – 3 calories per minute).
  • When your lips touch someone else’s 5 out of 12 of your cranial nerves are engaged. Your brain is trying to gather information about the other person.
  • The mouth is full of bacteria. When two people kiss, they exchange between 10 million and 1 billion bacteria.
  • … and while most of our bacteria is identical to everybody else’s, 20 percent of it varies between each person. This means that every kiss actually helps boost your immune system.
  • Kissing releases endorphins … and the longer you are together with the same partner, also releases oxytocin.
  • People remember their first kiss far better and more vividly than their first sexual experience (do you remember yours?).
  • Men who get a peck on the cheek from their wives before heading out to work live five years longer than men who don’t (my OH is ok then!)
  • Around 90 percent of the world kiss. The other 10 percent doesn’t for a variety of reasons. Some cultures refuse to kiss because they believe that the mouth is the window to the soul, and they fear having their soul stolen.

And my personal favourite:

  • In France, French Kissing is called a tongue kiss or soul kiss because if done right, it feels as if two souls are merging.

Whether you’re an everyday lipstick/lipgloss user or prefer to leave your pout bare, here are five easy things to do to keep your lips luscious (and this applies to men too!).

  1. Eat a healthy diet that’s rich in Vitamins B and E
  2. Exfoliate lips once a week with a gentle lip scrub
  3. Do these simple face yoga exercises
  4. Don’t bite, lick or chew on your lips
  5. Use olive oil to keep your lips soft and supple

Happy Kissing!

Family comes first! I'm married with two son's in their 20's and have a little more time now to follow my passions. I love my role as an Inclusion Lead in KS2 and I'm passionate about early help. I'm a member of Bournemouth's Early Help Operational Board working alongside others to instigate change and growth. I'm also passionate about my love of reading, being out in nature and creating with crochet. I've been blogging for eight years at Jera's Jamboree.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *