Have you checked out the Slimming World recipes on the GoodToKnow website? I love to have a bowl of comfort food in the autumn and winter and homemade Macaroni Cheese used to be one of my favourites. I haven’t eaten it for ages because of the high fat content.
This recipe uses quark and not having used it before I couldn’t wait to see the difference. When I realised I wouldn’t have to make Bechamel sauce, giving this recipe a go was a no-brainer!
Did we find it tasty? Or was there something missing?
Low fat marcaroni cheese
Cook time: 20 minutes
Ready in: Less than 30 Minutes
Suitable for vegetarians
* Freezer friendly
500g dried macaroni
2 trimmed leeks, thinly sliced
50g reduced fat Cheddar cheese, grated
200ml boiling vegetable stock
1 tbsp onion granules
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp mustard powder
Small handful of chopped fresh chives
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How easy is that prep!
- Cook the macaroni according to the packet instructions, adding the leeks for the last 3 minutes of the cooking time. Drain and return to the pan.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Put the quark, stock, onion granules, garlic, mustard powder, chives and three-quarters of the cheese in a small pan and whisk to mix together. Heat gently until the mixture is fairly smooth and season well.
- Stir the sauce into the drained macaroni and leek and toss to mix well.
- Spoon the macaroni mixture into four individual heatproof dishes arranged on a baking tray (or use a casserole dish). Sprinkle over the remaining cheese, season.
- Grill for 4 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
- Serve hot with salad or vegetables of your choice.
It was easy to make and the cost of ingredients is low.
Did it pass the Goodwin test taste?
Pete says it’s light and it was a nice balance of tastes with a little bit of kick from the mustard.
DS2 says it would be perfect without the garlic 🙂
My verdict: I liked the texture. The aftertaste does have a little kick which makes it interesting and I wasn’t bloated after eating. This would be perfect for when you have less time to prepare and cook and would be ideal for lunch or supper. Pure comfort food in a bowl.
Have you tried any Slimming World recipes?